Home | About IPJ | Editorial board | Ahead of print | Current Issue | Archives | Instructions | Contact us |   Login 
Industrial Psychiatry Journal
Search Articles   
    
Advanced search   
 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 30  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 96-101

A community-based study of prevalence and functional status of major depressive disorder in an industrial area


1 Department of Psychiatry, Dr. D Y Patil Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Dr. D Y Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune, Maharashtra, India
2 Department of Community Medicine, Dr. D Y Patil Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre, Dr. D Y Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Suprakash Chaudhury
Department of Psychiatry, Dr. D Y Patil Medical College, Hospital & Research Centre, Dr. D Y Patil Vidyapeeth, Pimpri, Pune - 411 018, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ipj.ipj_2_21

Rights and Permissions

Background: Depression is a significant public health issue that needs to be taken care of, as it poses a great economic burden on the society at large. Early identification and treatment of the patients will reduce mental morbidity and disability. Aim: The aim is to study the prevalence and functional status of subjects with major depressive disorder in the community. Materials and Methods: After identification of the sample population, the sociodemographic details were recorded. Subsequently, assessment was carried out by General Health Questionnaire (GHQ), Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9), Functional Status Questionnaire (FSQ), and Mini Mental State examination (MMSE). Results: A total of 2000 subjects were screened using the GHQ and PHQ and 544 subjects were selected. These 544 subjects were further assessed with FSQ and MMSE. Out of the 544 subjects, 65.1% had a GHQ score of <14, 22.1% had a score between 15 and 19, and 12.9% had a score of >20. The PHQ-9 score was found to be <5 in 28.9% subjects, 5–14 in 64.3% subjects, and >14 in 6.8% subjects. Majority of the sample population was in the warning zone according to the FSQ. The MMSE scores were ≥23 in 86% and ≤22 in 14% of the patients. Over 65% of the subjects were relatively mentally healthy. Out of the remaining 35%, 22% of the subjects required screening for psychiatric disorders and 13% of them did require active psychiatric intervention. Conclusions: It would be beneficial to the community if a database is created regarding the psychiatric disorders such as depression prevalent in the community and their functional status so that the effective measures can be implemented to minimize the suffering by providing effective psychiatric care at the earliest and follow them up in the long run.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed452    
    Printed6    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded15    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal